Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Divine Offices Thoughts

It is Day 3 of implementing this new spiritual discipline in our lives (for those of us trying to do so of course!). The challenge for me is already not to "plow through" each office as I'm speeding to my next activity, but to truly "pause" and hear what God is saying through the Scripture and in prayer.

I was struck by Psalm 125:3 in Vigils this morning: "The wicked will not rule the land of the godly, for then the godly might be tempted to do wrong." The godly are those whose trust is in the Lord, who security is guaranteed forever. I love this because the verse is saying that the godly have complete sovereignty because of the Lord's protection - we will never be forced or tempted to do things that go against the will of God.

Please, comment as you go through the Offices, or any sort of meditation/spiritual discipline.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Is it just me or do the short Scriptures always seem to suit the prayer perfect? We read about abundance and God's provision and we pray for the poor. We read of John's beheading and we pray for the Church worldwide which deals with so much persecution. Hmm...

Anonymous said...

I have found the exact same thing. Even though the prayer requests are in random order, they are always really connected to the Scripture.
As I prepare for Sunday and talking about Sabbath and rest, I was moved by todays Prime in Mark where, desperate for rest, Jesus and the disciples try to escape the crowd to get some peace, but when the crowd follows Jesus doesn't get mad at them for not respecting his "boundaries", but compasionately welcomes them, even though it was he who wanted the break from them! WOW. I wish I had THAT heart!